Purpose of the List
It is the purpose of the list to discuss DShield and IT security
To subscribe or unsubscribe, visit
Alternatively, you can send an e-mail to
'email@example.com' with a subject of 'unsubscribe' or
You may ask for assistance from firstname.lastname@example.org
All posts to the list are moderated. The main point of moderation is
to remove off-topic or inflammatory posts. We may on occasion moderate
posts as they are duplicates or for factually wrong statements.
If you do not agree with the decision of a moderator, please repost,
and add as first line: "Moderator: Please reconsider". You may also ask
'email@example.com' for help with moderation decisions.
You have to be subscribed to the list in order to post. Posting to
the list can only be done from a subscribed address.
Attachments and other Limitations
The preferred language of the list is English. We do not permit
attachments other then digital signatures or multi-part messages that
include text and html versions of a message. There is a size limit to
posts. Some encoding styles are not readable in our moderation admin
interface, and posts will be rejected with a note indicating that this
is the case.
The following suggestions are not enforced, but will help making your
post more efficient.
Do not post to the list if someone is not posting in a format you prefer.
Instead, ask the user directly. There are various posting preference.
- Use a distinct subject line. In particular if you reply to the digest
version of the list, make sure you set the subject to the subject of the
post you reply to.
- As a discussion moves to a different topic, change the subject of the
post. Typically, start by adding the old subject with a prefix of 'Was'.
For example: Subject: New Subject (Was: Old Subject).
- trim the original posts. If your reply is specific to a particular
part of the original post, remove other parts of the original post from
your reply, but keep enough of the post intact to continue the thread.
- If you post regarding a specific firewall log, provide as much
information as you can, in particular the full log message or log excerpt.
- your posts are more likely to be read if they are plain-text without
any HTML markup.
- don't be too long winded. Longer posts are less likely to be read.
- Stick with one topic per post. If you have more then one question, or
topic to discuss, post two posts.
Tips & Tricks
- if you need to send e-mail from more then one address, subscribe them
all but set all but one to 'no-email' after you subscribe.
- The web-forum at forum.dshield.org serves as an archive for the list.
The old 'pipermail' archive will disappear at some point and is no
longer actively maintained (but staying up for now due to lots of old links)
- Its a big pain to remove old posts, and we will only do so in
emergencies. Realize, that removing a post from the archive is unlikely
to get it removed from various web search engine caches. Think before
you post. We try to alert you if we think that your post may be
"unwise". But don't blame us for posting your SSN/Root PW/Credit Card info.
To see the collection of prior postings to the list,
visit the archive.
Subscribe to Dshield by filling out the following
You will be sent email requesting confirmation, to
prevent others from gratuitously subscribing you. This is a hidden list, which means that the
list of members is available only to the list administrator.