[Dshield] Blocking IRC

Keith Bergen keith at keithbergen.com
Tue Nov 18 13:44:48 GMT 2003

Mike,

Historically, IRC servers have used those TCP ports (and
primarily 6667) as the main server ports, however a lot of
IRC servers now offer web based interfaces. Those work on
your standard port 80, which is much more difficult for the
IT department to block. In addition, many IRC servers have
expanded their ports.

I help administer an IRC network, and we have 6661-6669
available. We also opened up 7001 years ago so that AOL users
could connect (as AOL either blocked 6661-6669, or used it
for something else). We also allow 4400 and 7070. All of
these extra ports are in no way a standard, but this shows
you an example of how difficult it would be to block out all
IRC traffic.

Keith.