[unisog] Size Limit on E-Mail Attachments

Paul L Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Sat Nov 3 19:43:36 GMT 2001

While your argument sounds real good, email was never designed nor intended
to be a file transfer mechanism.  There are other methods that were
specifically designed to do this; web pages are one, sftp is another, scp
is yet another.  Email is merely convenient, but it's not even the
fastest/best way to move large files.

Why should you have to burn a CD and drive 90 miles to deliver it when you
can move it across the network in a few minutes?  We are successfully
transferring multi-hundred MB files across I2 using SFTP.  You just have to
teach the folks that need that functionality how to do it.  Sending the
same file through email is often a lost cause because the email *clients*
aren't capable of handling email that size, even if the email servers are.

We have a size limit of 25MB for email *and* we bounce email with
attachments that have certain extensions (EXE being one of them.)  We've
had no complaints about the process (which doesn't mean there aren't any,
but we've been praised by many for the extension blocks), but when someone
needs to move large files, we set them up with SFTP and teach them how to
use it.

Why use a garden hose to do the work of a fire hydrant?

--On Friday, November 02, 2001 7:21 PM -0700 Jim Dillon

Paul L. Schmehl, pauls at utdallas.edu
http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/
Supervisor, Support Services
The University of Texas at Dallas