[unisog] Size Limit on E-Mail Attachments

Phil Miller phil at wubios.wustl.edu
Sun Nov 4 15:10:42 GMT 2001

At 13:50 11/3/2001 -0800, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
>On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 02:22:15AM -0600, Kevin L Prigge wrote:
> >
> > Warez sites quickly spring up on anonymous ftp sites.
>
>if you leave world-writable incoming dirs laying about.

which is what you will do if you want to allow uploads from arbitrary
people on your site so that someone else can download it.  You also open
yourself up to a DOS attack by filling up the upload area.  This discussion
was in the context of how to allow the transfer of large files from one
person to another.  Note that this is not the issue about how I can put
files up that others can download, the issue is how Professor A transfers a
large document to Professor B somewhere else without requiring Professor A
to know how to set up a web site or other methods proposed by others.

-phil

>-john

J. Philip Miller, Professor
Division of Biostatistics - Campus Box 8067
660 S. Euclid Ave, St. Louis MO 63110
314.362.3617 - 314.362-2693 (fax)
http://www.biostat.wustl.edu/~phil