SUMMARY: Well-Managed Anon FTP site, what it is

Sheila Hollenbaugh shollen at cs.wright.edu
Mon Nov 5 21:05:01 GMT 2001

I would like to thank all the lovely people who took the time and effort to
explain to me what an anonymous FTP site that permits uploads should look like.
The executive summary is that downloading of files should not be allowed from
directories into which files can be anonymously uploaded.  In fact, one should
not even allow a listing of those directories.  Further, I was informed that it
can be very difficult to implement these policies with stock FTP software, and
that ftp servers which enforce policies regardless of the underlying file
permissions are desirable in this case.

Again, thanks to all who replied to me directly as well as to the list.

Sheila