[unisog] Size Limit on E-Mail Attachments

Walter G. Aiello Walter.Aiello at Duke.edu
Mon Nov 5 19:45:53 GMT 2001

Greetings:

Please bear with another note that is a bit off-thread here.

We have a very similar need for collaborators to upload data to
our site. As well, many of our colleagues are not very computer
literate, use a variety of systems, and are spread all over the
planet. They wanted to do everything by e-mail, but the size of
the messages would not allow that.

We really had no recourse but to rely on anonymous ftp, but
using tcpwrappers as a means of limiting access to our site not
only prevents unwanted use of our resources, but also provides
us with superior system logging.

The server is used daily, and we keep careful track of resource
usage, so even if somebody were to hide something in a directory
called ".. " somewhere on our system, it would very likely be
found quickly. Once in a while we go in and perform a meticulous
garbage search, but we have not found anything for a few years
now. x (indicates crossed fingers)

Of course we get FTP portscanned about as often as we get a legit
connection, but that is another story ...

--
Dr. Walter G. Aiello
Manager, Network and Information Services

Walter.Aiello at Duke.edu
(919) 684 7229