[unisog] Computer Registration

H. Morrow Long morrow.long at yale.edu
Wed Jun 5 18:03:35 GMT 2002

We have a secure web site and app called RoomReg/NetReg to which residential college undergrads go to register their computers
at the beginning of each academic year.  They authenticate, enter the MAC address(es) (some come with multiple computers) and
are then told to set up their computers for DHCP.    They are assigned a reasonably semi-permanent IP address on their 'home' network
(in their dorm) for the semester or year and can also roam.

Other roaming users (includes wireless) also go through a registration process for their MAC address.

We are considering the implications of requiring all campus network computer owners to register their computer once a year in order
to renew their IP address (and at that point we would be able to capture and update their contact owner info as well as some
interesting demographic info such as platform type, OS type, etc.).  We are also considering whether or not to move from mostly
static IP addresses (outside of the dorms) to mostly DHCP'd computers (for non-server workstations).

- H. Morrow Long
  University Information Security Officer
  Yale Univ.