[unisog] Ftp access to Web servers

Bill Martin bmartin at luc.edu
Tue Jun 11 03:55:14 GMT 2002

Technically the answer is easy . . .Secure Shell (SSH)  and Secure Copy
(SSC).

For most end users, the learning curve is minimal, assuming they know
how to FTP via command line :-). I'm sure there are SSC GUI clients out
there, although I have not seen one, then again, I have not been looking
for one either. None the less, with SSH/SSC no need to worry about
clear-text passwords for Telnet and FTP. It's sad but, the first
reaction I usually get is "we can't afford to do it".  On the other
hand, how much does it cost to rebuild your system once it is
compromised?

There are a number of SSH packages that are inexpensive and some that
are free and are available on multiple platforms. Even if you have to
pay for the product, the initial payout will usually be less expensive
than it would be to rebuild a system that is compromised by way of clear
text passwords.

-Bill Martin-
Sr. Systems Analyst
Loyola University Chicago
-bmartin at luc.edu-

>>> Bob Ellsworth <bellswor at wlu.ca> 06/10/02 08:00PM >>>
Hi : I'd like to ask this list how their institutions handle "ftp"
access to their web servers.

Up until now we have maintained very restrictive access to our web
server: we allow access from internal networks
only. Unfortunately, pressure is building to allow access from various
Internet Services Providers so that our staff
and faculty can update web pages from home.

I'm sure that we are not the only university facing this pressure. My
colleagues and would appreciate any advice
or suggestions that members of this list might provide.

Thanks.

Bob Ellsworth
Wilfrid Laurier University