attachment support

Jim Ennis jim at pegasus.cc.ucf.edu
Tue Jun 11 20:23:12 GMT 2002

Hello,

We are dealing with a recent set of problems from a klez infected system
sending itself to some internal lists using the list-owner email.  As part
of our response (scramble,curse,scramble), I am considering modifying
postfix (Solaris) on our mail servers to rename all attachments so that
they will not automagically execute when our users merrily click them.

Has anyone else gone through this change and what were the results/impact
of modifying attachment names so that the users have to rename them to
use them.  We will have to work up an education plan for our users to
let them know about the change, but we are concerned with blocking future
mailings using our resources (either a list or direct mail) to spread
viruses.

Also, we have some recent queries about blocking spam at the mailer level
beyond the usual spam list checks.  Are there any recommended solutions
(free or commercial) for Solaris with Postfix as the mailer software?

Jim Ennis                        | jim at pegasus.cc.ucf.edu
Systems Administrator            | (407) 823-1701  |  Fax: (407) 823-5476
University of Central Florida    | Murphy's paradox: