[unisog] Tape backup solutions

Eric Pierce epierce at usf.edu
Mon Jun 17 15:42:40 GMT 2002

Hard Disk storage is not a replacement for backup tape, but it is a
complement to it.  How are you going to swap hard disks for off-site
storage?  It would be very tedious with a HD setup, but with tape it's
as simple as hitting eject.   On the other hand, tape is frustratingly
slow, especially if you need to do a bunch of small restores.

HD storage is nice for near-line backups, where all you need is fast
access to data that's only a day or two old, but archival backups and
disaster-recovery would be a nightmare without tape.

-Eric

Eric Pierce                                Phone: (813) 974-8868
Academic Computing                         Fax: (813) 974-1799
University of South Florida