[unisog] Computer Registration

William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) wcolburn at nmt.edu
Wed Jun 5 18:30:57 GMT 2002

Here, we have activation paperwork associated that relates an IP address
to a persons name and department.  Even if that person is gone and the
machine reassigned, the name is good enough for the secretary to name
the new person who has the machine.  We have no wireless ports, and we
are small enough that this method works well for us.

I wrote this several years ago to submit as an RFC (they always release
a special on on April 1st), but I didn't think it would be good enough,
so I just filed it away (without even sending to to r.h.f).

-----cut here-----
Proposal for new DNS data types: PLS (Point Last Seen)
			         ROT (Rate Of Travel)
			         APB (All Points Bulletin)

PLS would be a record containing two parts.  The first would be textual,
and would contain the last location a machine was seen in.  Its purpose
would be to help searchers locate machines that they *know* are in the
building, but aren't sure where.  The second part would be a number, and
would represent an estimation of how many offices the machine might
possibly have migrated since the last time it was seen.  The BIND
software would keep this number up to date, using the ROT for the
machine in question.  This information would be used by humans to limit
the search space for a machine.

ROT would be the estimated movement of the machine measured in Offices
Per Week.  This number would be adjusted by hand after each search.

APB would be a numeric field, with a value of either 1 or 0 (true or
false).  If set to 1 (true) on a machine, the resolv libraries would
detect that the machine they are running on has an All Points Bulletin
out for it, and would attempt to execute an HACF instruction (Halt and
Catch Fire) in order to draw attention to itself (via fire alarms).

[ I had to install some software on a specific machine on Thursday.  For
this task, I was given a root password, a room number, and access to a
master key.  I managed to find the machine on the following Tuesday
afternoon (and the root password didn't work, but that's another story
entirely). ]
-----cut here-----

--
William Colburn, "Sysprog" <wcolburn at nmt.edu>
Computer Center, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology