[unisog] Computer Registration

Jenett Tillotson jtillots at sparky.pharmacy.purdue.edu
Wed Jun 5 18:41:55 GMT 2002

Since we do not have control of the routers, DHCP is how I'm handling this
situation.  Basically, a computer cannot get a DHCP address unless their
MAC address is listed in the DHCP server.  I currently do not have a
web-based way for people to register their computers, but I think this
could easily be done.  Note, this will not stop people from setting a
static address and getting on the network.

Also, I use nessus to probe unlisted computers in order to determine who
they are - the netbios name of the computer and the list of usernames from
the machine usually allows me to quickly find the computer.

If I had control over the routers, I would handle this much differently...

Jenett Tillotson
School of Pharmacy
Purdue University