[unisog] Computer Registration

Christian Wilson Christian.Wilson at its.monash.edu.au
Wed Jun 5 23:34:39 GMT 2002

We have used the 'addhost' system for many years:

ftp://ftp.cs.colorado.edu/pub/sysadmin/utilities/addhost-2.1.3.tar.Z

Our policies say that machines must be registered on the network with
addhost before they obtain an IP address, and its good in that it gives
you 'next available' IP address for a particular subnet, etc.

Before Wireless or residential-type PCs are used on the network, those
students must register their MAC addresses and contact details via a web
page, which then feeds the information into addhost. Then get access
onto our network.

Addhost feeds into our DNS and static bootp/dhcp servers by a whole bunch of
scripts.

Christian.