[unisog] Ports to Block, con't

Bill Martin bmartin at luc.edu
Thu Jun 6 16:17:07 GMT 2002

>>> <Phil.Rodrigues at uconn.edu> 06/04/02 05:36PM >>>
Hi all,

<snip>

Does anyone care to share what ports they block at their institution?

Philip A. Rodrigues
Network Analyst, UITS
University of Connecticut

Interesting enough, we have change our paradigm from default PERMIT to
Default DENY - PERMIT/GOOD for many reasons. Prior to this, we had MS
ports shut down at our front door as well.  As for MS ports, we had been
blocking them for some time.

If you are using the concept of default PERMIT/Deny Bad, you might want
to consider shutting down MS RDP port (TCP/3389) as well if you
anticipate rolling out WinXP along w/ MS Remote Desktop or if you will
be implementing MS Terminal Servers.