[unisog] Tape backup solutions

Stan Horwitz stan at temple.edu
Tue Jun 11 19:47:49 GMT 2002

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, William Diehl III wrote:

> Greetings;
>
> We are considering replacing our current tape backup system with new technology.
>
> We are looking at AIT-2 and a Sony LIB-152/A2 which we can get for
> about $5100 (15 slot, 1 drive). Tapes seem to be about $75 each.
>
> This system will be used to backup a samba file server, webmail
> server, oracle database server, etc with all systems running either
> Linux or Solaris.
>
> Does anyone have a comment on AIT-2? Should we spend the extra money
> and go with AIT-3? Or wait for IBM/Sony to release there new terabyte
> capacity tapes (This month's PC Magazine)? Of course funds are low...
>
> Any insight would be appreciated. We feel AIT-2 will more than suffice
> to meet our needs now as far as capacity is concerned. But with
> decreasing storage costs... the future is unclear.

We're using a Qualstar tape library with six AIT-2 drives and 600 tape
slots. This library is one year old. I am very happy with it. We have this
library, plus an old library with DLT drives, connected to a Tru64 Unix
box with Legato NetWorker running on it. We back up several dozen boxen
each night. This includes a mixture of Tru64 Unix server, Sun Solaris,
Windows NT/2000, Novell NetWare, and Linux.