[unisog] Tape backup solutions

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Jun 17 16:56:21 GMT 2002

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 10:20:26 EDT, Patrick Darden said:

> I think hard drives are cheap enough so you could just use NAS to mirror
> your stuff.  HDs are beginning to get competitive with tapes:
>
> Tapes		$75/40GB		slow, ~1 year shelf life
> HD		$100/40GB		fast, ~3 year shelf life

I know somebody who worked at a dot-com that quickly became a dot-bomb.
Seems some pointy-hair boss decided that since the 3 terabytes of disk
they bought for their main database was fully RAID-5, with plenty of hot
spares available and all that, that they didn't really need an off-site
tape backup - all this raid-5 was getting expensive, and a proper backup
solution would have added some $50K to the price tag.

First 3 times a drive failed and was automagically hot-swapped out, the PHB
razzed my aquaintance about it.

Then came the day a plumbing problem several floors above dropped several
hundred gallons of water through the 3 terabytes of disk.  At this point
my aquaintance razzed his PHB about the fact that the PHB's resume was not
easily updated because it was somewhere on the 3 terabytes of ex-disk... ;)

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer