[unisog] Controlling image loading in outlook

Anderson, Kelly kjanders at umich.edu
Wed Apr 16 22:06:45 GMT 2003

Hi Russell,

I've done a few things to keep the nasty's away...

I have a custom hosts file on my machine that blocks all undesired web
sites and URL references in email from even loading - it redirects them
to 127.0.0.1.  I can email a copy of mine to anyone interested.  I got
my original from:  http://www.smartin-designs.com/downloads.htm.  It's
just a pain to distribute.

I also use the AdAware spyware killer program, which if the email is
html and needs to go to the internet to grab the photo, AdAware will
block some of them.

Lastly, I've turned off the Auto Preview & Preview Pane in Outlook, so I
need to double click the message to open it.  This way unwanted mail can
be deleted before anyone gets offended.  :)

Not a very elegant solution, but it works for most.

Thanks,
Kelly

Kelly J. Anderson, MCSE
Windows 2000 Infrastructure, University of Michigan
http://www.umich.edu/~lannos/win2000
United for Peace  http://www.unitedforpeace.org