[unisog] Recent increase in RIAA complaints

Arnold, Jamie harnold at binghamton.edu
Mon Apr 21 01:42:59 GMT 2003

A recent news article..

1. Encrypting File-sharing Programs Put Colleges on the Spot
The escalating war between the Recording Industry Association of America
(RIAA) and peer-to-peer software programs, such as Kazaa, has positioned
college IT staff and students squarely in the middle of the battlefield. In
the past, RIAA has pressured colleges to enforce the Digital Millennium
Copyright Act (DMCA), or risk being taken to court. Typically, RIAA informs
the college that a particular student is violating the DMCA, and the college
notifies the student with a threat to discontinue his or her data service
for some period of time. On the horizon, however, are new versions of
peer-to-peer software programs that threaten to upset this pattern. These
versions will not only encrypt the user, but may also encrypt the headers,
making it near impossible for colleges to segregate such traffic, a
double-whammy that is sure to clog most college networks and send a
college's bandwidth costs soaring. This fear was spelled out in late March
on a listserv for college residential network (resnet) operators. "The
latest P2P bandwidth hog to find its way onto our network is Filetopia
(www.filetopia.org). The spooky issue here is that it seems to be encrypted,
and is tough to trace where the server is," wrote the resnet manager. Why is
this important? If the user cannot be identified, then the college IT
manager has no one to crack down on, making it very difficult to enforce the
DMCA on behalf of RIAA. "Encrypted and anonymous file-sharing programs like
Filetopia can be a real problem for colleges trying to prevent students from
inappropriate file sharing," said Thomas A. Lewry, an IP attorney with the
firm, Brooks & Kushman, in Southfield, Mich. "For example, Filetopia uses a
'bouncer' to hide the IP addresses so the connection can't be traced. This
can make it difficult to find the students who are using the program."
Filetopia responded by email to questions from DMCA Alert, confirming that
"Protocols are completely encrypted, headers and all. I don't think there is
any way that hardware, which allows http traffic, can stop Filetopia." The
latter would be very problematic for colleges that have invested tens of
thousands of dollars on packet-shaping equipment that is specifically
designed to block such files.