[unisog] Dell LoadBalancer's?

John Stauffacher stauffacher at chapman.edu
Wed Mar 19 19:59:39 GMT 2003

Not to put a damper on your recent purchase, but... After a couple of years
of working in many .bombs and using a plethora of F5's products (from BigIPs
to their DNS caching product), I can say this: You can get the same effect
out of doing what they do, grab an x86 box -- slap BSD on it and go out and
search for a nice software solution. Other than the web interface and their
custom kernel patches there is nothing special about the F5 boxen. You pay a
lot and get a little. If you want to look at some nice load balancers, look
at Alteon (or what is now Nortel [www.alteonwebsystems.com]), you can still
find a bunch of Alteon switches on e-bay. The switches provide wire-speed
asic based load balancing and content directing. To me, they seem a little
bit better and a little bit more robust than the F5 equivalents.  And they
are quite a bit more expandable and scalable. Anyways, that's my 2 cents...

++
John Stauffacher
Network Administrator
Chapman University
stauffacher at chapman.edu
714.628.7249

"If the only tool you've got is an axe, every problem looks like fun!"

"it's a lot harder to ask permission than forgiveness."