Windows Remote Desktop Client

Ed Gibson egibson at uwo.ca
Mon Mar 31 17:01:02 GMT 2003

Hello all...

The influx of Windows XP into our domain has increased the number of
faculty and staff wanting to access their at work desktops from home
via Microsoft RDC.

This of course opens and huge can of worms as far as security is
concerned. How secure is the at home computer? Are proper complex
passwords protecting the access to the RDC desktop? etc.

I have asked our Windows guru's questions about logging, brute force
password attacks, how do we protect administrator privileged accounts?
And am still awaiting their reply's.

It occurred to me that we can't be the only institution struggling with
this issue and that a question to Unisog as to how other institutions
are dealing with the issue might be enlightening.

Thanks

Ed Gibson
University of Western Ontario
Network Operations