Email Session Timeout Values

Gary Flynn flynngn at jmu.edu
Mon Mar 10 22:33:38 GMT 2003

We're rolling out a new email service and are
discussing default options. We do not have
inactivity timeouts with our current system
but the new one supports them and we want to
use them.

Discussions have ranged from 20 minutes to mimic
our web based student information system to eight
hours to get through the workday.

Is anyone else applying inactivity logout
timers to email? I'd be interested in the values
you're using, the rationale behind them, and your
experiences with user satisfaction, logout
compliance, and incidents due to people walking
away from logged in mail clients.

The timeout value is a system wide setting.

TIA.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services