[unisog] Infringement Complaint protocol question: DirectConnect?

Matt Schechtman schechtm at uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 24 16:38:42 GMT 2003

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 10:28:41AM -0500, Joshua Wright wrote:
> I have received a message from MediaForce about a claim of copyright
> work infringement.  In the infringement detail section, MediaForce
> indicates the Network and Protocol are "DirectConnect".

Direct Connect is yet another P2P program. Instead of having a
centralized service, people run their own Direct Connect 'Hubs'.
Clients connect to these hubs to find other clients that are sharing
files, but so far as I have seen there need not be any communication
between hubs. This allows fairly isolated P2P networks.

The most common things we have seen are hubs within our campus network
and hubs run by students off of our network, but restricted such that
only machines within a subset of our IP space can connect to them.
Restrictions on who can connect to the hubs do not affect the clients,
which means the clients are still accessible from anywhere.

You can download the software here:
http://www.neo-modus.com

If anyone would like more details, I'd be happy to provide them.

--
Matthew Schechtman		Network Security Officer
schechtm at uiuc.edu		University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign