[unisog] Windows Remote Desktop Client

Dax dax at resnet.ucsb.edu
Mon Mar 31 17:52:58 GMT 2003

	Last year here at UCSB, we deployed a firewall solution that gave
us the capability to do VPN connections...which of course *everyone*
suddenly wanted - even those who had no clue what a VPN was, or why they
might need it.  Initially, we gave the client installer to everyone who
asked...however at some point, it dawned on management that this might not
be the best policy, since as you mentioned, we (admins) have little to no
control over the home environment (at least on privately owned
computers).
	After outlining the multitude security holes and problems I
would potentially face, it was finally agreed that we would rescind the
VPN client, and instead offer it internally to IS staff members only.
	Not the same as RDC, I know, but you face many similar issues.  I
like our new policy much better ;)

/Dax