Computer Crime Statistics Part II

Bill Martin bmartin at luc.edu
Mon Mar 31 19:06:22 GMT 2003

I was aware of the limitations of the SANS/FBI info, hence I posed the questions.  Considering there is nothing readily available via the Net regarding hacks/compromises from internal to HigherEd Organizations, What I'd like to do is solicit everyone for information regarding your institution.

I will be happy to once again, provide a summary of it for the group and post what ever results I have obtained here in percentages. If you would be kind enough to provide the following it would help:

**Note
*Staff* is used in the context of any current or previously authorized faculty/staff or student
*Reported* are those issues that were brought to the attention of those in your organizations that deal with InfoSec related issues.
*Confirmed* is denoted as the result of the process that your organization used to identify the responsible party within reasonable levels of accountability. In other words, you had, or had passed on, enough evidence (whether you opted to or not) to follow up within your organizations to address the staff member.

-1-Type of Organization (expected to be HigherEd)
-2-Number of total suspected unauthorized accesses (includes root/admin level, web defacements, etc internal and external)
-3-Number of total reported unauthorized accesses (includes root/admin level, web defacements, etc internal and external)
-4-Number of suspected unauthorized accesses that were suspected to be initiated by staff
-5-Number of confirmed unauthorized accesses that were confirmed to be initiated by staff

Once again, if you would like to send them directly to me, I will compile the information and share it with all

Thank you to everyone who is willing to participate
-Bill Martin-
Sr. Systems Analyst
Loyola University Chicago
bmartin at luc.edu