[unisog] building a secure repository for sensitive informati on

Darden, Patrick S. darden at armc.org
Mon Apr 5 12:36:18 GMT 2004

We have something here which we put together:

-compaq dx380 w raid 1+1, redundant power supplies, local backup drive
-rh linux 9, latest updates
-on our intranet, no internet exposure
-only two services turned on: SSL, SSH
-iptables turned on with strict rules to disallow all but ssl, ssh
-oracle
-coldfusion MX

We call it The Vault.  As you can guess from the above, we have a completely
we based interface.  Every access is audited.  We have three types of users:
superuser, admin, user.  Superuser can add/subtract/edit all three types of
users.  Admins can add/sub/ed all regular users.  Users can edit some parts
of their profile.  The profile consists of:

	--last name, first name (unchangeable by user)
	--username (unchangeable by user)
	--password (changeable)
	--validation question 1, 2, 3 (changeable)
	--groups the account is a member of (unchangeable by user) (e.g.
internet, exchange groupware, rightfax, highdef, as400, etc.)

If a user forgets his/her username or password, they can check the vault.
If they want to change their password, they use the vault.  Here's how it
works: User forgets username, accesses vault from bookmark, finds name, is
asked 3 questions that they have already put into their profile (e.g. what
is your grandmother's maiden name), and is told his/her username.  Similar
procedures for other parameters of profile.

This also serves as our SSO system.  We simply reimport the usernames and
passwords every 24 hours into all our disparate systems.  We promise a 48
hour maximum turnaround to our users wherein they may have to use their old
or new password.

The application is actually very simple.  The problem is implementation of
process and procedures--every system has different username and password
requirements, every system thinks they should be paramount, lots of egoes
involved in different departments, lots of politics.

--Patrick Darden
--ARMC Unix, Internet, Cisco, Firewall, Security, Intranet