[unisog] Fwd: URGENT: bot net with keylogger

Phil Rodrigues phil.rodrigues at nyu.edu
Wed Apr 7 15:46:15 GMT 2004

I would contact the REN-ISAC for info about the current and past
master servers.  I know they have a list of all of the IRCDs that
have been active, but I am not sure if they want to share that on a
public list.  That URl has been resolving to a few different master
servers in the day I have been aware of it.

They can be reached at:

ren-isac<at>iu.edu

I do know the masters servers that have been active here have all had
3410/tcp open, which amap thought was:

matches msdtc

"msdtc - msdtc.exe - Process Information
Process File: msdtc or msdtc.exe
Process Name: Distributed Transaction Coordinator
Personal Web Server and Microsoft SQL Server. The service is used to
manage transactions across multiple servers."

I also know that the slave bots had this in common (all info from
Doug Pearson of REN-ISAC):

"We can confirm the TCP port 8040. We have unconfirmed information
from a third party:

- The file that carries the virus is C:\windows\system32\mssmgrd.exe
which is a hidden file 70KB in size

- First it attempts to resolve et.bestexploiters.com

- Next it contacts each of the hosts that resolve to this on TCP port
8040 from TCP port 1219

- Each host that replies does so on TCP 8040 back to TCP 1219

- It then tries to contact all hosts on the local workgroup/domain
and enumerate shares (it may do an ARP discover prior; difficult to
derive from one capture)

- Next it attempts to connect to the hosts that replied to LANMAN
requests via IPC shares (and probably others)

- Throughout, UDP port 69 remains open on the infected host for TFTP

Other advice is to aggressively track down compromised hosts and
assume that any account/password, credit card, or other information
that has been keyed into a compromised host is now in the hands of
miscreants."

Phil