[unisog] Non-travel security training worth the investment

dknapp at calpoly.edu dknapp at calpoly.edu
Thu Apr 15 16:22:47 GMT 2004

I've been to several SANS courses and have found them all valuable.  I've also
taken some Knowledge NET classes, and they weren't as good.  The difference is
mostly in the LABS - Knowledgenet didn't have any.  So I think it's going to
depend on what kind of security class you are taking.  If it's an audit or pen
testing class, then it might be better to take a few days off and research the
tools and then take the SANS class online.

If it's an overview, then knowledgenet should be fine.  One benefit of
knowledgenet is having multiple instructors, so one can be teaching while
another is answering questions via an IM type interface.  I recently took a
class from vmware, and there was only one guy, and I really noticed the
difference.  However, he was able to go through some of the demo's in real
life, which was nice.

So, I think it's going to depend on the actual class you take.  You might want
to narrow down your choices to specific classes from specific vendors, and ask
about the pros and cons of each.

hth
dbk
dknapp at calpoly.edu