[unisog] Re: unisog Digest, Vol 5, Issue 2

Derek Ethier derek.ethier at humber.ca
Sat Aug 7 13:43:15 GMT 2004

They normally do that with all patches.  If you check the release date for a
lot of MS updates, you will notice that they are (on average, this does not
happen all the time) release about 2 weeks prior to showing-up on Windows
Update.  As for service packs, they've had the betas and the RC's out for
months now (they've recently yanked them) and a lot of people have tested it.
The beta/RC stragedy is sound.  Server 2003 went through the same process and
it is, by a wide margin, the best product MS has ever released.  I expect
pretty much the same results with SP2 (despite the rumours to the contrary).

As for approving updates as soon as they hit SUS, don't do it.  Always manually
approve updates after they have been tested.  We run the St. Bernard Update
Expert software for our servers, and once they approve an update (they test
them internally) we then approve the update for desktops, if they're applicable
(that's the key).  Only approve what is neccessary (security updates etc.) and
you should be fine.