[unisog] [Fwd: Is the current password std flawed?]

Nick Lewis lewisnic at internet2.edu
Fri Feb 25 16:57:15 GMT 2005

There is a good description in NIST SP 800-63 Electronic
Authentication Guideline in Appendix A: Estimating Password Entropy
and Strength where is discusses Shannon's work.

It can be found at:

http://www.csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-63/SP800-63v6_3_3.pdf

Where it has a table broken down by user chosen and randomly chosen
passwords.

See Table A.1 - Estimated Password Guessing Entropy in bits vs.
Password Length.

Nick.