[unisog] Initial Observations of the Microsoft AntiSpyware Be ta1

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Jan 7 01:48:47 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 17:00 -0500, Ben Compton wrote:
> While we're on the spyware removal tools topic I'm curious to know what you
> folks use at your respective sites and how your success has been with
> whatever product you're using.

Currently Faculty support staff mainly use Spybot S&D and Adaware (the
consensus seems to be that you need both).  Between them the seem to
handle most problems. We are currently looking closely at an offer from
CA for Pestpatrol -- though we have to sign up for 3 years to make it
affordable :(

We are also looking at the central update server for Spybot.  Now that
the MS beta is out we will include that in our considerations.

We are being driven to paying for commercial software by the need to
have something that does proactive protecting and accepts pushed updates
from a central store.

Russell

--
Russell Fulton, Information Security Officer, The University of Auckland
New Zealand