[unisog] Initial Observations of the Microsoft AntiSpyware Be ta1

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Fri Jan 7 02:46:11 GMT 2005

Russell Fulton wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 17:00 -0500, Ben Compton wrote:
>>While we're on the spyware removal tools topic I'm curious to know what you
>>folks use at your respective sites and how your success has been with
>>whatever product you're using.
>
> Currently Faculty support staff mainly use Spybot S&D and Adaware (the
> consensus seems to be that you need both).  Between them the seem to
> handle most problems. We are currently looking closely at an offer from
> CA for Pestpatrol -- though we have to sign up for 3 years to make it
> affordable :(

Same here re: Spybot and AdAware, plus Spywareblaster.  I've personally
added Spyware Doctor and Registry Mechanic to my own collection, they
aren't free, but quite capable; both are from pctools.com.  Spybot has
proven especially effective in some hard-to-remove items in that I've
seen it flag items that require "boot-level intervention" and set itself
to cleanup after a restart, which is a bit more convenient than safe
mode or recovery console.

For investigative purposes (not for the casual user) we have used the
trio of Process Explorer, TCP View, and FileMon from sysinternals.com,
along with Hijack This.

Jeff