[unisog] MAC/PC Mixed Mode Envioronment

BACHAND, Dave (Info. Tech. Services) BachandD at easternct.edu
Mon Jan 10 21:13:23 GMT 2005

We have a much smaller number of MAC users, and are > 99% PC based, but
here's what we do.

The university system has standardized on IP as the protocol of choice,
so we are actively phasing out the support of Appletalk.

We are also using Windows AD as the master authentication database.  Our
experience is that the MAC users can connect to Windows file services
successfully with OSX.  One word of caution, we have run into problems
with earlier MACs that use restricted characters for file names (/) and
the like.  It makes it troublesome to share files between operating
systems, so we are using Windows or Linux for all of our services.

Dave Bachand
Data Network Manager
Information Technology Services
Eastern Connecticut State University