[unisog] MediaSentry -- new development?

Kevin Schmidt kps at ucsb.edu
Tue Jan 11 18:48:00 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 11 January 2005 06:21 am, Rita Seplowitz Saltz wrote:
> I strongly suspect that the MPAA (which sends notices under its own
> signature) is using the MediaSentry service.  The pattern of bogus IP
> addresses is too similar not to arouse that suspicion.

You're right, MPAA does use MediaSentry.  I received a complaint yesterday and
the SMTP received headers clearly show it came from MediaSentry.  The actual
complaint referenced multiple file sharing events and appears to be
completely bogus (the IP address wasn't used on the days in question).  I
can't help wondering how many problem reports MediaSentry receives related to
erroneous complaints, and what that might mean for their liability if they
keep claiming a "good faith belief".  It seems impossible to have a good
faith belief in your complaints if you've been informed your complaints are
substantially in error and thus your process is flawed.  IANAL, all
disclaimers apply.

--
Kevin Schmidt
Campus Network Programmer