[unisog] Cleaning up those networks

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Feb 20 21:00:56 GMT 2007

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 12:38:24 CST, Brian Allen said:
> You might want to contact REN-ISAC because they notify universities all
> the time when they have infected machines.  They could get this info out
> in a hurry to all the correct people.

Quite likely they can get it out to *some* of the correct people.  The
problem is that the sort of network that goes to the trouble of getting
somebody REN-ISAN membership is probably the sort of network that doesn't
usually make it onto J. Oquendo's radar.

(Yes - it's possible to find screaming SSH scanners on the nets of REN-ISAC
members.  I'm sure we have the occasional one ourselves.  But if dropping
a note to security at vt.edu doesn't make something happen, it means that
we screwed up...)