[unisog] MSN Messenger - two questions

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at unm.edu
Tue Feb 20 22:44:53 GMT 2007

Brian Eckman wrote:
> STeve Andre' wrote:
>> On Tuesday 20 February 2007 15:46:15 Alan Rothenbush wrote:
>
> Can someone please explain how Gaim would make him "safer"? There have
> now been at least two posts that suggest this, but offer no explanation
> regarding what makes them "safer".

It would be more of a risk model. Instead of having 3+ clients (if a
student uses Yahoo or whoknows what IM of the week) with various update
schemes.. you limit it to one client that you can keep a handle on.
However... I am not sure it is going to help against the largest
vulnerability.. social engineering.

You may have 'potential students' who are going to 'spam' crap to
professors... [after getting trust] "Hi, I am working on a high school
project that might be college material. If you have the time, could you
examine: http://look_at_me_ma/i_love_rootkits". Or they may try to draw
out a professor into a blackmail scheme (or vice versa).

--
Stephen Smoogen -- ITS/Linux Administrator
  MSC02 1520 1 University of New Mexico Albuquerque, NM  87131-0001
  Phone: (505) 277-7343  Email: smooge at unm.edu