[unisog] Still need a "security" address?

Scott Fendley scottf at uark.edu
Thu Feb 22 01:50:46 GMT 2007

That is a good question Cal.  If one were to look at the RFC based
standards and actually adhere to them, then I would have to believe
that the public safety side of the house should use a different email
address other than abuse@ or security@ .  Per
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2142.html ,  abuse@ should be used as a
customer service address, and security@ is the network security address.

Our local public safety department is a fully accredited police
force.  So, we have an appropriate email address for UAPD on our
campus.  However, going to their website they actively list all of
their individual email addresses.  They also have a nice web form for
anonymous tips.

So at least in my environment, if there is a public safety concern
that comes in on either abuse or security, we re-direct it to the
appropriate place.  Otherwise, we listen to the standard and monitor
both addresses in the IT Security group.

Scott