[unisog] Separation of Law School IT Resources

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Fri Apr 18 13:36:09 GMT 2008

> I am looking to find information on universities that have law
> schools. Do the university and the law school share any IT resources?
> (e.g. Network, Telephone, Servers, Email,…) Or do they operate as a
> complete separate entity? Any help would be appreciated.

We do (Cleveland-Marshall College of Law).

Network and phones (including wireless phones/blackberries) are provided
by campus IT .. we control the border firewalls and core and edge
switches .. including those that belong to the law school. Change
management (ie: firewall ACLs) is handled through campus IT.

After that .. they can generally do as they please. They operate their
own email server (although we require incoming/outgoing mail to pass
through defined intermediate gateways), their own domain/fileservers,
etc. We do encourage (but do not require) the use of centralized
services (come on folks .. it really *is* cheaper..).

Cheers,

Michael Holstein CISSP GCIA
Cleveland State University