[unisog] OS Vuln Scanners

BACHAND, Dave (Info. Tech. Services) BachandD at easternct.edu
Wed Apr 23 14:16:36 GMT 2008

Hello-

We use Nessus to scan the entire university frequently.  The freeware
version is the same as the paid commercial version, except that the
signatures are delayed on the free one.  All that said, it's an
extremely useful tool, and is not very hard to use.

One thing I like is the "safe checks" flag.  IE for Internet facing
services, we probe it more harshly, whereas for more protected services
we can scale back the aggressiveness.  But beware that "safe checks off"
can and will wax a weakly configured system. :-)

Dave Bachand
Data Network Manager
Information Technology Services
Eastern Connecticut State University