[unisog] Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) @ University

Joel Esler joel.esler at me.com
Mon Aug 16 12:33:35 GMT 2010

I usually try and not do this on this list, but seeing as I am a vendor (Sourcefire) let me add my two cents.

The amount of users really shouldn't matter when it comes to IPS.  At all.  In fact, none of your below criteria are big selection points.  We, as IPS vendors, can all do all three of those depending on how big of a box you want to buy.

The difference is features.

Can you read the rules?
Can you write your own?
What kind of documentation is provided for the rules?
How oftern are they updated?
How advanced (or granular) is the interface?

200 Mbps is a very easily achieveable number.  It's only when you get up in the >10 Gig space where the air gets really thin in the IPS vendor space.

Joel