[Dshieldannounce] DShield Outlook

Johannes B. Ullrich euclidian at euclidian.com
Tue Apr 17 18:33:40 UTC 2001

  DShield.org is growing. Our submission rate has more than
doubled from January to March. As a result, we need to get ready
for some hardware upgrades. Luckily, SANS ( http://www.sans.org )
stepped in to provide the necessary means that will buy as a great
new server, we will also switch to a larger ISP which will be able
to support future growth.

  It is SANS's intent to build an "Internet Storm Watch", looking
for new threats and recognizing them quickly. Initial trials of
this system, for which aggregated DShield data was used, helped
speed up recognition of the recent lion worm and allowed SANS
to organize a response in record time.

  Thanks everyone here for making DShield such a success. Our
fightback program is providing first visible results. Aside from
the usual "we are investigating" auto-replies, we got a few nice
thank you notes where system administrators where alerted of
hacked machines.

    THANKS!

----
Johannes Ullrich