[Dshieldannounce] DShield.org update 08-JAN-2001

Johannes B. Ullrich euclidian at euclidian.com
Mon Jan 8 15:28:06 UTC 2001

New Clients:

- Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router
- Network Ice BlackIce Defender.

Available on the Windows Clients page.
http://www.dshield.org/windows_clients.html

- We now support Sonicwall logs.  The format line should contain
Subject: FORMAT SONICWALL USERID (your User ID) TZ (your time zone)

See http://www.dshield.org/howto.html for more information.

The SonicWall log parsing is still experimental. Please
send a quick e-mail if it works for you, or a longer
e-mail if it doesn't (include log sample)
(to: jullrich at dshield.org)

Reminders:
- Linux users: Rotate your syslogs each year. The syslog does
  not track the year and client will get confused...

- Authentication: Make sure the "From:" address you use to
  send your logs matches the address associated with your
  userid. I see a lot of "user at host.isp.com" style "From:"
  addresses, while the address registered with us looks like
  "user at isp.com". This is mostly a Linux issue.

- Mail Format: Please don't use HTML formated mail or
  attachment. We rely on regular carriage returns to
  detect the end of a line, while many HTML mailers use
  a <BR> instead.

  for dshield.org? Check out http://www.dshield.org/linkback.html

  Things are going great! We receive a lot of interesting logs
and started sending out "Fightback" messages to a few ISPs.
So far all we got are automated responses.

  We are working on PGP (GPG) support as many asked for it.
I was hoping to announce the completion of this support today,
but things went slow this weekend (skiing weather was too good
here ;-) ).

   Thanks for the great support from everyone!