[Intrusions] Port Scanning on 1026 & 1027

Earnhart, Benjamin J benjamin-earnhart at uiowa.edu
Wed Jul 27 15:29:36 GMT 2005

Same here, lately 1026 and 1027 have become as popular as 1433 and 22.

I assumed it was people trying to get by blocks on the regular MS SMB
ports (135-139 and 445).  I *think* it should *mostly* be a non-issue,
since AFAIK, 1026 and 1027 only get opened up temporarily when
authenticating and establishing a connection, so an attacker would have
to have perfect timing and an unpatched machine to attack.  But if it
really is that much of a no-big-deal thing, I don't get why the bad guys
are bothering with it.

So I concur with you that they're becoming very popular, and look
forward to somebody giving a decent explanation as to why this is
happening.

*Ben Earnhart
*Computer Consultant and
*ICPSR Representative