[Dshield] fighting back against CodeRed

Chris Newton newton at unb.ca
Tue Aug 7 17:46:26 GMT 2001

Hmm, didn't Max Vision of www.whitehats.com, just start his jail term (18
months if I remember correctly) for doing something similar?

  If I remember correctly, he released something that tried to fix the BIND
DNS hole, or something?

Chris

>===== Original Message From "David Sentelle" <David.Sentelle at cnbcbank.com>
=====
>I agree that the ethical and legal ramifications need to be examined closely.
 Here's my thoughts regarding gaining access to infected computers...

>Could something like the good samaritan law be invoked?  A passing computer
appears sick.  Are you not obligated to fix it if you know how?

>Would gaining access to a computer for the purposes of fixing a security hole
be considered any worse than putting fluoride in someone's drinking water to
insure they don't get cavities?

>My $0.02_

>David Sentelle
>

>This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify admin at cnbcbank.com and
delete it from your system.