[Dshield] fighting back against CodeRed

Neil Richardson pc_freak at cats.ucsc.edu
Tue Aug 7 18:16:02 GMT 2001

At 06:55 AM 8/7/2001, you wrote:

>         How about posting the IP's, ISP's and associated names, email and
>phone numbers for all to see.  You know something along the lines of the

    Um, I think that could turn out to be a Very Bad Thing(tm)...posting
the IP address could be seen as inviting attacks (after all, we've just
*said* that it's infected with CR(I or II), and details on exactly what
backdoors it installs can be found all over the internet).

   I think most people will agree that the majority of non-person entities
(businesses, organizations, etc) will tend to come down hard on individuals
penetrating their network, regardless of what the reason; and my
understanding of current law is that there's no intelligence behind it:
whoever has the most money, wins (re: US Govt vs Dmitri Sklyarov; RIAA;
etc.)  I can only think of a few instances in current history (esp. in
internet law) where the spirit of the law took priority over a strict
reading of it.

    Maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but to quote a website: "I'm allergic
to jail."  :-]

-Neil R.
Random thought for the day:

    Hello, I am part number || |||| ||| | || ||| |