[Dshield] RE: fighting back against CodeRed

John Groseclose iain at caradoc.org
Wed Aug 8 03:13:22 GMT 2001

At this point, I'd be happy to run a CGI that grabs the IP address of
the infected machine, and sends an e-mail to abuse at domain.TLD
reporting the attempt.

If they get a few thousand e-mails about it, maybe they'll be more
likely to *ACT* on the reports instead of ignoring them for days on
end.

I cannot condone a counter-worm. These "administrators" need to learn
that there's more to being an "administrator" than simply being able
to double-click on "Install" for a Microsoft product.

I'm willing to bet that a lot of the infected IIS machines' owners
don't even know that IIS was installed and activated BY DEFAULT.

At least one of the machines that attempted to connect to me to pass
Code Red had pages showing that the guy was an MCSE... I e-mailed him
about it, and the pages have since vanished, but he never replied.
--
John Groseclose
iain at caradoc.org