[Dshield] Various Updates

Samuel Samuel at socal.rr.com
Wed Aug 8 23:07:08 GMT 2001

I think that daylight savings time is confusing. DST seems like such a
simple thing, yet since (according to the Window registry timezone data) GMT
recognizes DST, I think that many people would be confused about whether to
set their TZ variable dependent upon DST.

For systems using Windows, timezone information is available from the
operating system. I would be very surprised if Unix is not as sophisticated
as Windows. I do not understand why we must specify our timezone when the
operating system probably knows better than many (most) of us what to use.