[Dshield] Client time zone (was Various Updates)

Joe Glass joe at glass.cl.msu.edu
Thu Aug 9 15:34:10 GMT 2001

Actually, date +%z is only a GNU date option, it's not a unix thing.
The dshield clients should have the capability of determining the time
zone without the GNU date utility.  For that matter, to be completely
portable, the dshield client shouldn't use any utility or environment
variable to determine the time zone.

For example, Solaris uses the TZ environment variable, but this doesn't
really help because it's a text string and not a numeric zone.  On top
of that it also depends on what the sysadmin feels like setting the date
to:

root at onebox:~/$ echo $TZ
US/Michigan

root at otherbox:~/$ echo $TZ
US/Eastern

While it is true that most sysadmins don't like using UCT/GMT, wouldn't
you rather be completely portable?  I think the best solution would be
to have the dshield client parse the date and then use built-in perl
functions convert it to GMT before sending it to the Dsheild server.

--
Joe Glass
Technical Support Services, Michigan State University
e-mail: joe at glass.cl.msu.edu