[Dshield] Re: Dshield digest, Vol 1 #193 - 14 msgs

Josh Josh at raintreeinc.com
Thu Aug 9 15:48:36 GMT 2001

Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 16:28:03 -0500
To: dshield at dshield.org
From: "Jonathan G. Lampe" <jonathan at stdnet.com>
Subject: Re: [Dshield] Short story/Code Red question

>Now the question. I called the user to advise he was infected. He had a
>vanilla W2k machine and didn't bother to patch it since he didn't think IIS
>was on. I've read it's on by default. But, not the whole IIS package, I
>can't believe that.... Haven't tried it myself.... What's the real answer?

None of my installations of W2k Pro had IIS installed unless I specifically
installed it after the original installation of the OS, but it's been a
while since I did an install, and I have the time-consuming but beneficial
habit of doing custom installations of everything I install whenever I get
the chance -- perhaps I just don't like labelling myself as either Typical
or Recommended for Most Users :-) -- so I might have just turned it off.
Anyway, if memory serves, IIS does not install by default with w2k pro.

Josh Tolley