[Dshield] Re: Fighting CR2

Daniels566@cs.com Daniels566 at cs.com
Fri Aug 10 22:31:26 GMT 2001

Just thought I would add a little more frustrating insight to an already
frustrating situation. I'm running my trusty 98 SE and have been monitoring
this Code Red thing for over a month. All my ports are locked down and only
in the last week has there been an abnormal flurry of activity trying to get
into my port 80. But to the point. Example I have a relative who six months
ago acquired a 2000 machine. She knows absolutely nothing about computers and
thinks of it like any other household appliance. She downloads and opens
programs like it was Christmas. I called the other day to inquire if she put
the MS patch in. Her first reaction was what for, followed by aren't they
supposed to do that. Then she explained that she thought that only network
servers were the only ones susceptible. Then she complained her AV program
expired. Typical of a new machine. then she said anyway her machine was under
warranty. I explained that it wouldn't probably cover damage covered by a
virus.
I'm afraid she is infected and doesn't have the concept to understand that.
I perceive one thing in all this. Mass marketing PCs  has created a dilemma
for all users alike.  I believe the solution may be at the point of Internet
access, whether it be Dial UP, LAN or FIBER OPTIC. Infrastructure networking
can monitor their own. Packets is not a new Idea just how to effectively
deliver them to do no good.
Remember Ladies and Gentleman kindness prevails, grin and bear it.
Our "LAWS" remind us of that every day. I Just wonder why it's OK to bomb
Iraq when we need to get a point across.
john