[Dshield] Who's doing what

Steven Hull h2s0c023 at cablerocket.com
Sun Aug 12 18:25:43 GMT 2001

 I'm sorry, but that way of thinking is just one way for the ISP, NOT to
take responsibility for what they provide.  Imagine if I used that concept
of thinking, into purchasing an automobile.  What the auto companies would
say is "we'll sell you an auto but it is your responsibility to install all
the safety measures in that auto."  Can you imagine the uproar from the
public???  Well it should be the ISP's resonsibility to ensure that EVERYONE
on their network is as free as possible from attack and the users
responsibility, to an extent to ensure they too are secure and virus free.
A personal firewall can cost as low as FREE.  Just use Zonealarm from
http://www.zonealarm.com.  At least the user can feel a bit more sercure
knowing they have done their part.  I like to refer computer security to the
corporate safety way of thinking.  Just as safety is everyones
responsibility, so too is the security of the network.  ISP and user alike
has to take some responsibility for the equipment and services they use and
provide.

Steven Hull